Welcome to our Dance Unlimited family! It is important that you take a moment to read through the Handbook and Register pages before registering. Included is everything you should need to know about being part of Dance Unlimited Performing Arts Inc. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 250-361-3267 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lindsay Tusche Artistic Director
DANCE STARTS SEPTEMBER 11th!
We can’t wait to dance with you!
Good attendance is imperative as absences and lateness can hold back the entire class and the studio cannot jeopardize its responsibilities to the rest of the class for one student. It is expected that missed work will be learned from another student before the next class to avoid holding up the class. Make-up classes are not offered. Refunds and/or discounts are not given for missed classes. Students missing class may be required to schedule and pay for a private lesson with the instructor. If your child is going to be absent from their class, please complete the form below before the class. If your child has an injury of any sort, it is your responsibility to inform the office immediately and provide a doctor’s note if their injury prevents them from dancing for more than 1 week. Absence Form
September 11th – December 23rd, 2023 and January 8th – June 10th, 2024
– The studio is closed on all statutory holidays
– The studio is open on all school professional days
– The studio is closed for 2 weeks at Christmas
– The studio is closed for 2 weeks at Spring break
– Competitions, festivals and shows are dependent on Covid and are only for Companies, Crews & Competitive classes
11th – First day of classes for the 23/24 season
30th – Studio closed for National Day for Truth and Reconciliation Day (Please note that this day will be observed by the studio on Saturday, September 30th)
2nd – Studio open – Please note that National Day for Truth and Reconciliation Day will be observed by the studio on Saturday, September 30th
9th – Studio closed for Thanksgiving
23rd – 28th – Halloween Dress Up Week
31st – Studio closed for Halloween
11th – Studio closed for Remembrance Day
23rd – Last day of classes before Holiday break
24th – January 7th – Studio closed for Holiday Break
8th – First day back after Holiday Break
19th – Studio closed for Family Day
25th – OACP On Stage show (Companies, Crews, OACP’s and Competitive classes)
17th-April 1st – Studio closed for Spring Break/Easter
2nd – First day back after Spring Break
20th – 25th – Studio closed Victoria Day, rehearsals and recitals
22nd – Dress rehearsal for the recitals
25th – Our 31st Annual Recitals
26th – Company Crew auditions for 24/25 year
3rd – 10th – Last week of classes
9th – First day of classes for our 24/25 season
Class placement is based on age, technique, progress and strength. It is most important that each student be placed in the appropriate level and class where he or she will be challenged, but not overwhelmed, and will be able to execute dance movements without injury or instilling bad habits. Because it usually takes 2 to 3 years before the necessary skills are attained, and because there are only a few levels per age group, it is normal for a student to spend multiple years in each level. Sometimes it is necessary for a student to be moved into a different class, level, or more suitable genre, after registration has taken place. This will be done as soon as possible at the beginning of the year and will be discussed with the parent first. It is very important that each dancer is comfortable in their class/es so please don’t hesitate to call with any questions or concerns.
Ballet helps students further dancers strength, technique and helps them understand proper posture and placement. We strongly suggest that students take a Ballet class in conjunction with their other class/es. Some classes must take a Ballet class in conjunction with their other class/es. R.A.D. Ballet classes Grades 1 and up attend their grade twice per week.
Some classes must take an additional classes per week.
Communicating with you is very important to us. If you’d like to speak with Lindsay or your child’s teacher, please email email@example.com and they will contact you as soon as possible. It is your responsibility to keep up to date with what is happening in your studio. Studio newsletters are emailed every 2 months, starting in September, with additional newsletters closer to the recital. Be sure to check the website regularly so you are up to date on what’s happening in your studio. If you opt-out of receiving emails in your Studio Director account, you will miss very important information. Please be sure to opt-in.
Senior Contemporary, Acro 5/6, Grade 6 Ballet, Senior Lyrical 2 and Senior Tap are competitive classes which means they take part in 3 competitions. Competitions take place on the Island and in the Vancouver area and may take place during school and work hours. Overnight travel may be required. If your competitive class is entered in the competition, you must attend. Possible/tentative competition dates will be provided in October and decided on in January. Competition fees for competitive classes are $165.00, include 3 competitions and fees are paid by PAD in 2 equal payments on July 1st and August 1st, 2023. We don’t have control over scheduling the competitions dates or if they add additional dates. On Stage! is a show consisting of Company and Crew pieces, competitive class pieces and OACP pieces. It will be held on February 25, 2024 at the Charlie White Theatre in Sidney. It is scheduled before the first competition takes place which will allow dancers to get comfortable on stage and showcase their talent to their families and friends. On Stage! may be divided into 2 shows due to the number of OACP’s and would require a separate ticket for each show. Tickets go on sale in February through the Charlie White Theatre Box Office.
Dress code is an important part of dancer’s discipline and is inclusive for all. Parents, please assist your child in selecting their attire and dressing appropriately.
Dance attire must incorporate all genres dancers are taking that day. For example, ballet attire must be worn under Hip Hop attire. Dancers cannot change between classes, but may remove layered clothing and place it in their personal bin.
Our dress code is inclusive for all, so dancers may choose either Option A or Option B. (Not a mix of A and B.)
1) Hair must be in a ponytail, bun or braid off the face. Long hair must be in a bun. For Ballet – see below.
2) No jeans, outside shoes or jewelry are to be worn in any class. This includes runners for Hip Hop.
3) If it doesn’t specify a color for the attire or shoe below, you may choose the color.
4) Dancers must enter the studio ready to dance. That includes hair and dance attire.
5) With the exception of Hip Hop, attire must be fitted so the instructor can correct placement and technique on a dancer.
6) The instructor reserves the right to ask the student to leave the class if not appropriately dressed.
JAZZ, COMPANY & MUSICAL THEATRE All classes must have slip on Jazz oxfords; Leather – tan or skin tone. Broadway Babies and Showstoppers – Jazz oxfords, Ballet or gymnast shoes are optional.
– Broadway Babies/Showstoppers – OPTION A – Bodysuit, tights or bare legs, skirt optional. OPTION B – fitted t-shirt and shorts or athletic pants.
– Primary through Junior, Fierce Company & Musical Theatre – OPTION A – Bodysuit or fitted Yoga top. Dance shorts, tights, leggings or Yoga pants. OPTION B – fitted t-shirt and shorts or athletic pants.
– Intermediate through Senior & all Companies (except Fierce) – OPTION A – Bodysuit, fitted Yoga top or crop sports bra. Dance shorts, tights, leggings or Yoga pants. OPTION B – fitted t-shirt and shorts or athletic pants.
CONTEMPORARY – OPTION A – Bodysuit, fitted Yoga top or crop top sports bra & fitted dance shorts. OPTION B – Fitted t-shirt and dance shorts. Bare feet.
HIP HOP – Loose fitting clothing and clean inside white runners.
LYRICAL – OPTION A – Bodysuit, fitted Yoga top or crop sports bra (Int./Sr. only) and fitted dance shorts. OPTION B – Fitted t-shirt and dance shorts. Bare feet or Tan/skin tone Foot Undeez.
ACRO – OPTION A – Bodysuit, fitted Yoga top or crop sports bra (Acro 4 & 5 only) and fitted dance shorts. OPTION B – Fitted t-shirt and dance shorts. Bare feet.
TAP – OPTION A – Bodysuit or fitted Yoga top. Dance shorts, tights, leggings or Yoga pants. OPTION B – fitted t-shirt and shorts or athletic pants. Black patent or leather Tap shoes for Primary. Black leather (lace up or Mary Jane) Tap shoes for Junior/Intermediate. Black leather lace up for Senior.
– No t-shirts, sweats, shorts, etc. may be worn over your leotard and tights in class.
– Undergarments should not be visible.
– Hair in SECURE bun with hair net, several bun pins and bangs back. Bun kits are available through the studio for $6.00. We do not accept cash so it must be e-transferred.
– Shoes for Pre-Primary through Grade 2 and Open – pink or skin tone leather soft non-split sole Ballet shoes with elastic
– Shoes for Grade 3 through 8 – pink or skin tone canvas split sole Ballet shoes
– Additional shoes required for Grade 1 and 2 – Character Shoes – low heel
– Additional shoes required for Grades 3 and 4 – Character Shoes – high heel
– Bodysuits for Pre-Primary to Grade 1 are SoDanca style #SL02 (color below) Only available at Ellswear
– Bodysuits for Grade 2, 3 and Open are SoDanca style #SL10/SL11 (color below) Only available at Ellswear
– Bodysuits for Grade 4 through 8 through Senior are SoDanca style #SL03 (color below) Only available at Ellswear
– Pink or skin tone socks are Mondor style #167
– Pink or skin tone tights are Mondor style #314
– All character, classical and pink skirts. Must be ordered through Ellswear.
– Black or pink Ballet sweaters may be worn if the studio is cold but must be removed after warm up. No leg warmers.
– Shoes – Black leather soft non-split sole Ballet shoes with elastic
– White short sleeved fitted t-shirt and black dance shorts or tights.
EXAM and OPEN BALLET PROGRAM
(see above for details to be sure you get correct styles)
Bodysuits and skirts only available through Ellswear.
Pre-Primary & Primary – Pink (03) bodysuit: pink skirt; pink or skin tone socks
Grade 1 – Pink (03) bodysuit: Character skirt; pink or skin tone tights
Grade 2 & 3 – Light Lilac (63) bodysuit: Character skirt; pink or skin tone tights
Grade 4 & 5 – Dark Purple (49) bodysuit; Character skirt; pink or skin tone tights
Grade 6, 7 & 8 – Dark Purple (49) bodysuit; Classical Skirt, scarf & Character Skirt; pink or skin tone tights (Classical skirts will be ordered by the studio)
Open – Lilac (63) bodysuit; pink or skin tone tights
DANCE SUPPLY SHOPS
Ellswear carries all items required for our classes. They are located at 3180 Harriet Rd.
250-721-5356 (just up the street from our studio)
* Politeness and respect to everyone is expected.
* Dress code must be followed.
* No street shoes in the studio.
* No food or gum in the studio, change rooms or lobby.
* Students with special ability/experience may be given consideration to enter classes regardless of age.
* FOOD ALLERGIES – No peanuts, nut products or animals can be brought into the studio at any time.
* We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, at anytime, for any reason.
We kindly ask that you drop off/pick up your dancer and not remain parked in the parking for the duration of your dancers class/es. This allows parents with younger children to access parking to safely escort them to and from the studio. Please do not park in the reserved spots as the upstairs tenant will tow.
Students who are sufficiently prepared will take an examination, in which their work is evaluated by a visiting RAD examiner. Exams range from $150.00 to $190.00. Please note: R.A.D. Exam program – Grades 1 & up must take their grade twice per week. RAD Ballet grades 1 through 7 must register for the Summer Intensive which takes place the first week of September. New students will be assessed in September and placed accordingly.
RECITAL – All students participate in our annual Recital on May 25th, 2024 at the McPherson Playhouse. Ticket costs are not included in class fees and tickets go on sale end of April through the McPherson Box Office. Please see Costume Fee section. The dress rehearsal is held at the McPherson May 22nd and attendance is mandatory if you expect to be in the recitals. Please note: If your child is in more than one class per week, they may be in more than one recital, which will require two separate tickets.
RECITAL FEE – The mandatory Recital fee is per dancer and includes a high def link to both recitals and a Recital t-shirt. In case of withdrawal by Oct. 31st, 2023, Recital fees will be refunded. After this date, no refunds will be given.
COSTUME FEE – A costume fee per class is required. (Company/Crew/Competitive refer to Additional Fees on PAD Form) In case of withdrawal by October 31st, 2023, costume fees will be refunded if costumes have not been purchased or ordered. If your dancer chooses not to or cannot perform in the recital for any other reason after the withdrawal date, costume refunds are not given. Parents are responsible for any alterations to costumes.
Keep updated on events & news by finding us on Social Media! We have exclusive Facebook contests, news and updates! Follow us!
Facebook at DanceUnlimitedPerformingArts
Instagram at DanceUnlimitedPerformingArts
We cannot be responsible for students before or after their classes so we ask that they be dropped off and picked up immediately before and after their class. Students will not be able to wait inside for their ride so parents are expected to be on time. Any student more than 10 minutes late or continuously late for class may not be admitted into class. They also may be asked to sit and watch to protect them from injuries due to an inadequate warm up.
Our studio lobby is currently open to only our dancers. Viewing windows will be closed to avoid gathering in common areas. Often, dancers request to have the blinds closed to limit distraction from outside the studios.
Dancers must arrive in their dance attire and layer genre clothing appropriately. The washrooms should not be used as change rooms. The only items to be brought into class are water bottle and dance shoes.
One month’s notice is required for withdrawal from classes and will be accepted until Oct. 31st, 2023.
No partial month fees will be refunded.
November through May fees are non-refundable after October 31st, 2023.
Please note – No exceptions for any reason.
This Withdrawal form must be completed to withdraw.
Dance Unlimited is a place I like to call my home away from home. The studio is such a loving place from all the joyful students to the caring teachers and staff. The studio is a place where us as dancer go to free ourselves from the stress of reality and express ourselves in a way that is so amazingly undescribable. This family that I have became apart of has helped me grown in so many ways and I am internally grateful for that. Almost five years of being at Dance Unlimited and It has been the best five years ever. Getting to express myself, having fun and connecting with my friends and teachers, and achieving my goals is something I look forward to everyday. It doesn’t matter if you take one class or ten, you are apart of the Dance Unlimited family and I can not be more thankful for my Dance Unlimited family.
Registering my son for dance lessons at Dance Unlimited Performing Arts is one of the best choices I’ve made as a parent. The talented teachers welcomed a kid with a passion for dancing around the living room and helped him become a drained performer on stage who has been given the precious opportunity to express his true self. All dancers are celebrated at Dance Unlimited!
Click here to add your own text